This blog is designed to let supporters follow the wine-making process from start to finish. There will be frequent posts with updates. Email us at z.cellars@gmail.com.

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Day Two

Today was a big day for my wine. While I didn't do anything, the yeast definitely did. I checked my primary fermentor after I got home from work (about 24 hours after adding the yeast), and saw that CO2 was escaping through the airlock. That means the yeast has begun to ferment the grape juice. In five to seven days, I will check the specific gravity of the juice. If it is within limits, I will move it to the secondary fermentor and begin the second step in the fermentation process.

Unfortunately, because I broke my hydrometer yesterday, I had to order a new one. I need it in just a couple days, because I can't move onto the second step without first checking to make sure the numbers are within the window. Because of that, I had to select expedited delivery of the device, meaning that shipping was more expensive that the piece itself. But the success of the wine is dependent on having the correct specific gravity at each step, so the investment was necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment